This person will work in our cruise ship crew center as well as working on the cargo docks visiting bulk carrier, container and tanker ships. In our cruise ship crew center, we provide parcel services to the crew members, sim cards and hospitality services. You will be directly involved in each of these aspects of the work as well as identifying spiritual needs of the crew members as you work and helping to fill those needs. On the cargo ships you will be providing transportation to the seafarer’s center and local shopping areas for the crew members as well as helping to identify spiritual needs and ministering to those needs.
Full time hours (40 hours per week) typically from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm on days when there is a cruise ship in port and 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm on days with no cruise ship. The schedule will include 2 Saturdays and Sundays per month.
Principal office will be at the Tampa Seafarers Center located at 1309 Shoreline Ave Tampa, FL 33605 but work will be conducted at our secondary location 705 Channelside Dr. Tampa, FL 33602 and throughout Port Tampa Bay and the surrounding communities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities.
· Assist visiting seafarers with retrieving their mail and parcels when they come to the seafarer’s center.
· Assist visiting seafarers with procuring sim cards for their phones so they can call home and have internet access. This requires proficiency in activating the cards on a website with a computer and troubleshooting mobile devices to get the sim cards operational.
· Assist visiting seafarers with sending money home via MoneyGram system which requires accurate cash handling skills and attention to detail.
· Assist in the work of ship visiting to distribute Christian literature, check on seafarer welfare, interact, visit with, offer the hand of friendship, and pray with the seafarers and invite them to the seafarers’ center.
· Assist in the operation of the seafarers’ center to include helping seafarers with questions and assisting them with any needs they have, minor building maintenance, making sure the center is kept clean and tidy.
· Assist in the transportation of seafarers to the seafarers’ center and local shopping venues using the ministry vehicles.
· Assist with the recruitment and training of volunteers.
· Assisting with any special projects, outreach events and fundraising events.
· Provide administrative support to Executive Director as needed.
· Comply with all security and safety requirements in the port, at private terminals and onboard ships.
· Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Education and Experience
· Ability to work with and serve those from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
· Proficiency in computer applications (Word, Excel, etc.) and internet tools is essential. Must have troubleshooting skills.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
· Ability to operate independently and collaboratively.
· High level of professionalism and confidentiality.
· Ability to work effectively in a Multi-Denominational Christian setting is essential.
· Must have the physical ability and stamina to negotiate ladders and gangways to board and disembark ships.
· Must be eligible to qualify for the Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC). Expense for TWIC to be covered by Tampa Port Ministries.
For more information please contact Chaplain Steve Finnesy at 813-247-5237 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If interested, please forward your resume and 3 references to email@example.com